Understanding Your Market Needs
Because of the growing demand for high-grade steel products, there is a demand for lower levels of impurities (such as phosphorus and sulphur) in the steel-making process. Lime injection in the BOF converter helps to achieve such stringent requirements. Carmeuse and its technology partners developed lime injection in BOF. This helps to improve dephosphorization, leading to a significant positive impact on steel cleanliness productivity, as well as lower costs.
How can re-blows, due to phosphorus in BOF converter, be reduced?
How can dephosphorisation be improved, in order to make cleaner steel?
Solutions to Meet Your Needs
- Optimized timing additions of flux agents into the volatile steel bath.
- Reduction of phosphorus levels by optimizing the oxidizing environment in the furnace, thus resulting in high quality steel.
- More precise injection of lime provides an optimum alternative to traditional practices of adding lump lime, which has always been difficult to control.
While significant results have been achieved through lime injection in BOF, Carmeuse and strategic partners are always looking to further develop this technology for optimum performance. These developments include:
- Metallurgical benefits thanks to improved dissolution rate of lime, consistently better slag, and improved dephosphorization.
- Process benefits include reduced slopping; elimination of re-blows caused by phosphorus; 100% recovery of lime injected; and potential improvement in refractory lining life.
- Environmental and safety benefits because of cleaner working conditions.