Understanding Your Market Needs
Stainless steelmaking processes modify the properties of the steel from the BOF and EAF to form a highly corrosion resistant steel. Chromium chemistry is essential for the production of stainless steel and losing it in the process can have a negative impact on the quality. The addition of lime and fluorspar improves the reduction process of Cr2O3 and keeps the slag fluid. Controlling oxygen and sulfur within the metal bath are critical to achieving a quality stainless steel. Additionally, the right product mix helps to extend refractory life, thus reducing your costs.
Equipment and corresponding processes may also need updated or replaced over time from evolution of technology or normal wear and tear.
Solutions to Meet Your Needs
The quality of lime in making stainless steel is very critical. Carmeuse can help your stainless steel operations run more smoothly by allowing for recovery of oxidized chromium, removing sulfur contaminants, and protecting your slag and refractory performance with our lime products.
High Calcium Quicklime
- Optimizes chemistry of the slag, removing impurities like sulfur, carbonates, manganese, etc. from the bath to improve steel quality
- Maintains the viscosity of the slag to increase heat yield
- Supports chromium chemistry preventing it from entering the slag
- Magnesium content prevents melt-throughs in the refractory
- Adds magnesium to the bath to balance refractory
- Protects the refractory
Handling and Storage
Through Storage & Transfer Technologies (STT), a member of Carmeuse Group, we offer effective solutions to store and pneumatically transfer your bulk materials.
Our network of plants allows us to get you the product where and when you need it.